Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) has confirmed Russia has been banned from qualification for UEFA EURO 2024 following the invasion of Ukraine,
Follow the UEFA Executive Committee today met in Hvar, Croatia, and approved the procedure for the upcoming UEFA EURO 2024 qualifying draw, which will take place in Frankfurt on 9 October at 12:00 CET.
The qualifying draw procedure can be summarised as follows:
• Germany, the UEFA EURO 2024 host association team, qualifies automatically for the final tournament and is therefore not taking part in the qualifying draw.
• All Russian teams are currently suspended following the decision of the UEFA Executive Committee of 28 February 2022, which was further confirmed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport on 15 July 2022. Russia is therefore not included in the UEFA European Football Championship 2022-24 qualifying draw.
• 53 national associations will participate in the qualifying draw, which will allocate the participants to ten groups – seven groups of five teams and three groups of six teams.
• The ten group-winners and the ten group runners-up qualify for the final tournament. The remaining three places will be decided via the play-offs to be played in March 2024.
• The 53 participating teams are seeded according to the overall 2022/23 UEFA Nations League rankings and divided into seven pots.
Credit Photo : Getty Images